Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Rolling Right Along - 19 days til Cowtown


     So I know I haven’t been on here lately, thought I would document on how this ultra thing is going.  In case you didn’t know I’m training for the Cowtown Ultra Marathon on 2/23.  What I have found is that when you train for an ultra, everything you do becomes “ultra”.  I have found myself, not only doing the extra ultra-mileage in training, but eating ultra.  My caloric intake is off the charts, I’m eating everything that moves, always hungry.  I sleep ultra, naps have been longer, and I have to get at least 7 hours of sleep or I’m not “right”.  Everything seems to be going well though, I think I owe a lot to the lower body weight training which I have been doing as well. I have had several long runs over 20 miles now including back to back 26 and 25 mile weeks.  The 26 mile training run I had on 2/23 went so well and I was able to actually able to pick up my pace toward that last 3-4 miles of the run with no problem.  I ran 10 recovery trail miles the very next day on sore legs and that Monday it was like I never even ran. 
How many of you old schoolers remember Ultra Man?
      I was thinking last night about how though I’m training for this, how I will probably push myself to do more later.  Especially seeing my mentors complete 50k, 50mile and 100 mile trail races.  It’s amazing what we can train the body to do.  I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be doing something like this.  I remember before I ever even thought about taking up running as a hobby and I was weighing over 200 lbs, my supervisor at work whom is a tri-athlete talking about running an ultra-marathon; and in my mind that was something that only a well-trained athlete could do.  Not me.  Well I guess I can call myself a well-trained athlete now. J

No comments:

Post a Comment