Sunday, November 18, 2012

Each one, Teach one

As I sit here anxious to get going with my 2nd Full Marathon, confident that I will shatter my previous personal record, can't help but be grateful for the folks that got me here.  I know I had some of the best training that you can get, lots of great advice from other runners both on line and off line.  And if I just so happen to "bomb out" on December 9, 2012, it would be painful but still all good because I know that I prepared well.  It would take me doing something really dumb or some outside force like crazy weather to keep me from performing well.  That's how confident I am.  But you know what, this blog is not about me, it's about the folks who got me here and me getting others to their optimum fitness level.  Now I know why my coaches do what they do.  Recently I had my own coaching experience when coaching a group of people to run a 5K.  I was a little nervous at first when asked to take on this task.  But upon completion, seeing those folks go from couch to completing a 5K may have made me even prouder than completing my first ever race. 
And a couple of them still look to me to advice.  I guess it's the 'teacher' in me.  I went to college for 3+ years and was on the way to get my teacher certification but got sidetracked and didn't finish because of family stuff I had to take care of. At my full time job somehow became the department "trainer" and trained some 300 or so employees over 5 years even though I wasn't even hired for that.  I guess if you have it in you, you just have it.  I certainly enjoy sharing the knowlege that was shared with me and seeing others use what I teach them.  It don't get no better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment