Sunday, December 31, 2017

17 things I learned in 2017.



It’s been a while since I have been here.  Someone the other day asked me what happened to my blog.  I told them I would get something out here, I didn’t realize people actually read these  haha.

1. I miss blogging, I need to blog more.  And I will.
2. I don’t have to look like I’m about to turn 50 next year.  My 50 will look better than my 30.
3. I have to work harder at it on the pavement now that I’m older.
4. Avocados are the greatest things ever to grow on trees.
5. I still really don’t like eggs all that much.
6. It is hard as hell to burn fat around the belly.
7. When you are a marathon coach, your goals become whatever your athletes' goals are. 
8. Marathons are still hard as hell to complete, and they still hurt like hell.
9. Running is just like the NFL.  Summer is training camp.  Fall long Saturday runs are regular season games. Tapering is the playoffs.  The fall marathon is the Super Bowl.
10. I don’t think my wife understands why I still do this. Sometimes I don’t understand either.
11. Running can become a chore one week and then become fun the next week. In Texas that is determined by the weather
12. Weight training really helps when you have to move heavy furniture.
13. I REALLY miss the trails.
14. Texas is probably the most difficult place to train for a marathon.
15. Gatorade sends me to the port-o-potty. 
16. Running at an extremely slow pace can be just as hard as running fast.
17. Runners are still the coolest people on the planet and make the best friends.


Summary for 2017.  I went in with the attitude for myself of not necessarily being a better runner, but being a better athlete by first getting myself into the best shape possible.  After being tagged in a Facebook photo early this year and seeing my belly looking like it was trying to do an impersonation of the moon, I figured I needed to do something.  When I was at my fittest around fall 2013, I was lean and mean. Injuries and laziness got the best of me and I got heavier and slower.  I knew that if I’m supposed to be coaching others to run, I need to be a better example.  So I hit the gym.  I included at least 2-3 gym strength training exercises per week.   

I never knew what fitness I was in as far as running.  Was I a 4:00 marathoner?  A 4:30 marathoner?  I have no idea.  Somewhere between I think.  My training was all over the place running with different groups every week who are categorized by their fitness level, so then my race was all over the place as well.  At my goal race I’m sure I started out way too fast and ended up crashing around the 17 mile mark and ended up with a 5+ hour marathon. So I probably shouldn't have a goal race until I'm able to really stick to a solid training plan.  Disappointing because for the first time ever in my running lifetime, the Dallas Marathon had near perfect weather running conditions.  But still, who can say they have run 9 full marathons and 4 ultra marathons?   

One plus of 2017 is that I finally figured out how to prevent “Claying”.  It’s complex and difficult to explain but it’s more to it than just hydration and nutrition.  I had a revelation during the Cowtown 50K in March.  It’s one of those deals where you just kind of know your body and what it needs.  That should not ever happen again, unless I’m just plain careless.

What’s up for the future?  Get fit, keep eating well, get leaner, and get more athletic.  I figure I have a couple more seasons of coaching left in me, then I will retire myself to the trails and really see what I can really do endurance wise. For now, my goal is to just keep getting stronger.  I know the rest will take care of itself.

- TNT - 

No comments:

Post a Comment