Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dancin' With the One that Brung Me

March 1, 2013 marked my three year "runniversary".  Funny I've only been doing this for three years but it feels like 20.  The only regret I have is that I didn't start this 25 years sooner.  At 44, I'm not getting any younger, which means I need to be smarter.  I have to remember that I'm not far removed from being a rookie runner.  Being hardheaded and thinking I'm unbreakable, I pushed too much and a number of little nagging injuries finally started popping up this year. Blame it on being constantly in the presence and running along side of some of the most amazing athletes in my opinion you tend to want to be like them.  No, blame it on me.  So that means back to the fundamentals.  No matter if it's running, cooking or doing mathematics, we always seem to have to go back to the fundamentals when we get stuck don't we?  The great Green Bay Packer coach Vince Lombardi used to begin every summer training camp with five simple words to his teams, "Gentlemen, this is a football."  After spring training season is over and I have my scheduled races out of the way, I'm going back to what got me here in the first place.  Back in 2010,  I started with building my core through weights and calisthenics and I ran twice per week for cardio.  I did enough weight training to tone up pretty well.  I used to absolutely HATE running.  Then one day it became peaceful to me and it was all she wrote.  But that could have been a bad thing because it caused me to loose focus of what I was doing for my overall fitness.  My diet also changed as I started to eat more things to make sure I was fueled up for a run every day.  Forgetting about all of the other nutrients that my body needs.  Now don't get me wrong, I am still a runner FIRST.  Just trying to be a better one and a smarter one.  So I will start from the basics again with the running and everything else and build back up from there.  Hopefully if I keep at it, by the end of fall I can be near as amazing as those super athletes that I train around with every week.

-TNT-

No comments:

Post a Comment